More than just an aesthetic issue, mold can cause various health problems and trigger allergies if left untreated. Whether it’s the slimy black spots on your bathroom walls, the fuzzy white patches on your balcony’s floor, or the slick black film that forms on your HVAC system, household mold is more than unsightly. In almost all cases, mold in your home can make you sick and cause severe allergies, especially if you have any respiratory problems.Whether or not you’re allergic to molds, long–term exposure to molds can irritate your eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs.
Mold Reactions: Who is at risk?
For people sensitive to mold, inhaling or touching mold spores can cause various allergic reactions, including runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. People with serious mold allergies may have severe health problems, including breathlessness. Asthmatic patients who are allergic to mold, inhaling spores can also cause asthma attacks.
In addition to people with mold allergies, others who may also be sensitive to the effects of mold include:
- People whose immune systems are weak
- People with lung disease
What NOT TO DO when you have a mold problem?
- Don’t use vinegar to remove mold and mildew
Vinegar can sometimes be used to remove molds in your home. But did you know that vinegar’s acidity can potentially damage the surfaces in your home? Let’s have a look:
- Kitchen countertops- Vinegar can dull the appearance of stone surfaces like marble and limestone.
- Wooden floors- Cleaning the mold on wooden floors using vinegar can break down the protective finish of the floor, making it dull.
- Electronic gadgets- Vinegar can harm the anti-glare properties of some electronic screens and may interfere with a touch feature if used in a high amount.
- Metallic materials- Using vinegar to remove molds can corrode certain types of metals like aluminum, copper, and stainless steel.
- Absorbent surfaces- Vinegar is unlikely to be effective at cleaning mold out of porous surfaces. If you notice mold on ceiling tiles or mattresses, you most definitely need to call the professionals.
- Don’t clean the mold all by yourself
- Don’t ignore the leaks in your home
There is a general tendency to clean mold on our own and try DIY home remedies. It is important to consider the location of the mold and how its removal can impact the area. For example, if there’s mold on the drywall, then removing it could result in a more complex process. Besides, people with mold allergies should always leave the cleanup to the professionals. And how about cleaning mold from the air ducts? Don’t even think about it as it’s a complex process that requires advanced knowledge of HVAC systems, as well as specialized equipment. A quick fix solution to mold is not always the best solution. If mold is not treated and removed from its source there is a 100% chance of mold reoccurring.
Since no one really wants to spend their weekend scrubbing mold off the bathroom floors or walls, your best bet is prevention. As the age-old saying goes “Prevention is better than cure” and in the case of mold this holds true as well.
Mold needs moisture to thrive, so the first step is to look for signs of leakage or water damage throughout your home. Some signs of possible moisture issues can include puffed painted walls, uneven flooring, or discoloration of surfaces. Fixing leakage to avoid dampness in the area as quickly as possible will help you avoid a headache later by preventing the molds from thriving.
What are you waiting for? Call Tanziif Experts
At the end of the day, few things are as important to daily life as the air you and your family breathes, particularly inside your home. So what are you waiting for? Keep your household’s environment in pristine condition by eliminating harmful mold spores that threaten a healthy atmosphere. Contact Tanziif- NADCA certified mold remediation experts today for fast and cost-effective service.