With changing weather and unexpected rains, you might have to deal with visitors you do not want- Mold. Your indoor space could be hosting a house full of fungi like mold, yeast, and mildew. The last thing anyone would want is their house harboring mold. You can keep it completely clean and tidy, but it will always accommodate unnoticeable mold spores.
The accumulation of mold spores can result in colonies of dark mold, which may end up causing severe health issues due to the presence of pathogenic mycotoxins. Fungus ruins the overall beauty of your house. They are incredibly harmful as they cause serious lung issues and breathing problems. By controlling moisture, mold spores can be prevented. You can also take professional help for this purpose. Read on to know about the various factors contributing to mold growth and the places in your home that could be harboring mold.
Factors contributing to mold growth:
Black mold usually appears in dark, damp, and warm conditions. Mold growth is initially indicated by a musty odor. The congregation of water often paves the path for fungus growth. Molds also stick to the walls effectively. Stagnant water is also a key factor that contributes to mold growth.
Top 9 places in your home that could be harboring mold:
- Bathroom: Bathrooms are often warm and dark with many water sources, which make it a preferred breeding ground for the growth of mold. Some of the most common areas for mold growth in your bathroom are near the toilet, bathtub, boiler, water heater, in between the bathroom tiles, toothbrush holders, damp towels, etc. A waterproofing solution can be applied to keep your bathroom clean. You can also seek professional help to fix leaky pipes.
- Kitchen: The kitchen is usually hard to keep mold-proof. The appliance seals of the fridge and the dishwasher must be appropriately checked. The drip pan must be paid special attention while cleaning the refrigerator. You must make sure to dry and clean any area having an accumulation of water. Condensation and plumbing leak make a breeding home for mold growth. In such cases, you should seek professional help or clean it with hydrogen peroxide or bleach.
- Laundry room: The latest washing machines may come with high efficiency, but the gasket is usually wet and damp which creates the required atmosphere for mold growth. The appliance seal of the washing machine must be checked properly.
- Living room: Home offices and living rooms may be free of water sources, but the books and paper documents it contains are composed of wood pulp. In case the paper documents get damp, it sprouts mold as the paper is an original buffet for fungus.
- Bedrooms: The last space where you will want the unwelcomed presence of mold is your precious bedroom. Can you imagine inhaling the spores while having a sound sleep? It could lead to significant coughing fits. Mattresses are often the perfect breeding place for mold.
- Basements and attics: The most persistent targets for fungal growth are basements as well as attics. The absence of ventilation and dust makes it an ideal place for mold growth. Any external leaks or piping issues must not be near your attic or basement. In case of such problems, you must immediately hire a plumber to prevent mold growth.
- Pads and carpets: Concrete floors are usually moistened and serve as a breeding place for mold. Damp carpet is the first sign of mold growth. Carpets must be vacuumed once a week to keep it clean and mold-free.
- Air conditioners: The air sucked by AC units contains pollen-attractive and dirt materials. Unused ACs also enhances mold growth. It’s better to call for a professional in case your AC has mold.
Window sills: Due to condensation, window sills are often exposed to moisture. Also, the dirt accumulated in the window panes serves as valuable food for mold growth. To prevent mold growth, window panes should be wiped every other day, and the dirt should be cleaned out from the window tracks.